STUDENTS AND PARENTS,
Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year!! Please read the syllabus at the right and complete the appropriate form. It will be emailed to me.
Students are asked to read this blog the first week of school:
IB Brain Boot Camp
Syllabus for 2017-2018
Connect with Shockey here:
Email: Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Google Classroom: www.classroom.google.com Period 3: ne52oq Period 5: 4ru9ea
Remind: Text the message @cohsib to this number: (858) 815-9182 or to 81010.
CRAM: Go to Cram.com . Search for Mrs. Shockey and you will find my folders for vocabulary, etc.
Turnitin.com: Class ID: 15391523 Ask Mrs. Shockey for the password. :)
COUSD GMAIL Student Accounts
Your COUSD GMAIL account should be used for all communication regarding school.
Here's how to set up your account:
Go to http://mail.google.com and enter the following credentials. Remember that this is your PERMANENT ID #.
In using your permanent id for documents and Google Classroom-- DROP the first two zeros from the ID#.
Last 5 digits of the PermID+first name
You are able to change your password once your account has been established.
COHS GOOGLE CLASSROOM-- JOIN THIS CLASS
This year COHS added Google Classroom to our digital identity. Teachers will be using Google Classroom and its apps in your classes and you will need to join all classes within the first few days of school - HOPEFULLY IMMEDIATELY.
Here's how to join Google Classroom:
1) Following the instructions above, log into Google with your official COHS gmail account.
2) Click on YOUR ACCOUNT/APPS and choose CLASSROOM. You may need to press MORE at the bottom of the screen.
3) Click the + sign in the top right corner to JOIN A CLASS.
>> IBHL English Period 3: Use this code to join: ne52oq
>> IBHL English Period 5: Use this code to join: 4ru9ea
5) Calendars will be synced with Google Classroom and many assignments will be submitted here. You will also use Turnitin.com for major assignments that require plagiarism checks. Google Classroom does not replace Turnitin.com.
At Charter Oak High School English A is a two-year Higher Level IB course. Fifteen significant works or units of study will be considered over the two years. They are divided into four distinct groups. The works we will study in the senior year are in RED.
Part 1 World Literature 3 works, studied JUNIOR YEAR
• Three World Literature works studied as a group, linked by one or more aspects such as culture, genre, theme, period, style, type of literary study, methodology.
Garcia Marquez, Chronicles of a Death Foretold
Mishima, The Sound of Waves
Camus, The Plague
Part 2 Detailed Study 3 works, studied SENIOR YEAR
• Three English language works studied in detail.
• Each work chosen from a different genre category on the IB Prescribed Book List
2. Poetic Works of John Keats
3. Travel Writings of Barry Lopez: Selections from About This Life.
Part 3 Groups of Works 4 works, Studied JUNIOR and SENIOR year
Four English language works studied as a group.
• All four works chosen from the same genre category.
1. Twain, Huckleberry Finn
2. O'Brien, The Things They Carried
3. Brontë, Jane Eyre
4. Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Part 4 School's Free Choice 3 works
• Three Language A1 works and one World Literature work studied as a group, with shared themes and discussion points.
1. Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
2. Zusak, The Book Thief
3. Tolkien, The Hobbit
IB Assessment Guidelines
External Assessment 70%
Written Paper Component 50%
Two written papers, externally set and externally assessed.
Paper 1 Commentary 2 hours 25%
Paper 2 Essay 2 hours 25%
World Literature (WL) Assignments 20% ; each paper is 10%
Internal Assessment 30%
Individual Oral Commentary 10 minute commentary plus 10-minute discussion... 15%
Individual Oral Presentation 10 minutes... 15%
COHS Teacher's Assessment
Students will receive grades based on performance on IB required assessments along with assignments designed to prepare them to perform well on the IB assessments.
Because of restrictions IB places on products which must be submitted for external assessments, the grades for the External and Internal Assessments are not given to students until July of 2016. Therefore, the teacher's assessment is the sum-total of the school-reported work.